Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Reflections 2.2010

Then I look at you

And the world's alright with me

Just one look at you

And I know it's gonna be

A lovely day

-Bill Withers

It's February 1st and we're in the midst of brainstorming romantic Valentine's Day dinners for sweet couples. The calls we've received in the past for this service are priceless and adorable:

"Umm, I really love my wife and well, this Valentine's Day must blow her mind."

Duly noted, Friend.

One key component we explore when launching the planning process is the genre of music and/or significant artists that stir the souls of the couple. We high-five it all: Michael Bublé, Aimee Mann, Beyoncé; Céline Dion, David Bowie (my personal favorite), George Straight.

So as I think through what we're up to this year, I wonder (invoking my inner Carrie Bradshaw):

What song is love for you?

I checked in with my sisters at RLD for their input. They were full of ideas because, well, they're event planners and smart ladies.

Jessica was the first to raise her hand. She shared "Blue Sky" by the Allman Brothers "because it's my song for my husband." (Good answer.)

Lori (our newest member to the family…you'll be introduced to her on the blog next week) said "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra because her "love" sings it to her. (She and her man are just too cute.)

Chrissy was straight up – "Better Together" by Jack Johnson. She also shared the sweetest story:

"When my husband and I met we had a lot in common and one thing was not being fans of 'Hallmark' holidays. When Valentine's Day rolled around we both assumed that we would do nothing for the day. I guess with all the love in the air, however, we felt pulled in. We surprised each other with letters saying how much we appreciate the fact that each day is like Valentine's Day for us. We've been together for 11 years and to this day we write each other a love letter on Valentine's Day and leave it at that. That means more to me than any flowers or diamonds."

Tear.

Mia says she's pleading the Fifth on this one (although it's important to note that she has a shameless love of chick flicks.) Guess that's fine because it balances my list of songs (I have a tendency to over think things):

A parent's love for his/her child – "Vienna" by Billy Joel;

For someone special – "Home" by Zero 7;

From grade school dances and high school proms – "Somebody" by Depeche Mode;

The love of dancing like a fool in your living room – "Lovely Day" by Bill Withers.

Please share what song is love for you. We want to know.

3 comments:

Andie said...

"Everlong" by Foo Fighters is the one song that always reminds me of my hubby and me when we were in our "courting" days.

When my first daughter was born, we didn't know her gender before the birth. I made a CD of songs about my feelings when I was pregnant with her. One of them was "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder. She knows this is her song. Any time she hears it she says "That's my song, Mama!"

Adrianne said...

great post...cuz music matters!
Cheers,
Adrianne

Jessica Devine said...

"The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson. I wish I knew this song when Steve and I got married. It would have been my song to him.

"'Cause I love you more than I could ever promise. And you take me the way I am."

Ah, that says it all.