Saturday, June 12, 2010

Reflections 6.2010

June 2010 is a month Mia and I have looked forward to since creating Red Letter Days in June 2005. Why? Because we knew that if we made it to this point without "unfriending" each other on Facebook, we'd probably be just fine.

Photo by Cary Pennington / Cary Pennington Photography


In September 2004, I launched Rebecca Gaffney, Wedding & Event Coordination, and at that time, I asked Mia to please ensure I stay on proverbial course by being my "business guru." Job description: guiding me on the subtle and charming intricacies of starting a business in California. Payment: dinners at Outback Steak House (refraining from comment is appreciated...)

Photo by Megan Power / Megan Power Photography

After about nine months of going it alone, I realized that two really is better than one. I asked, actually begged, Mia to be my business partner.

She told me I was crazy. Friends don't let friends go into business with each other.

Guess who won (guess who's an only child)?

Photo by a friend

In August 2005, Red Letter Days produced its first event - a benefit concert for the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation. As I mentioned in my January "Reflections," it was a transforming experience.

Photo by a friend

Lessons learned and goals attained motivated us to think big, to think beyond...to think that there might just be a fifth birthday for our company to celebrate.

We became very focused and worked with wonderful clients. We began the biennial tradition of torturing our dear friend Cary Pennington with the joy of taking our head shots. In 2006, Mia got a new hair color.



We also began our collection of images fondly known as "power" or "rock" shots (insert sarcasm...).


Red Letter Days grew. We welcomed Chrissy, Amber, Jessica and Scarlett with open arms, and we're very honored that they still call Red Letter Days home. We started tightening who we are as a company, got some new head shots in 2008, launched a new website in 2009...

...and Mia finally decided she prefers blond over black.


(One day, we'll record that rock album...)


So here we are. 2010. Mia and I are grateful, humbled, thoroughly jazzed. We celebrate for a living. We celebrate life...daily.

And as Red Letter Days celebrates its fifth, we've given it a new look...a new "head shot," if you will. We're very excited to share our new logos (yes, there's two...one to represent each of us) that were created with brilliant artistry by master designer and calligrapher, Wendy Ware. In addition, we look forward to launching our Service Couple of the Year program (put on your thinking caps and open your hearts...essays and lots of love involved in this one).
Mia and I thank you, as always, for standing behind celebration and the action of making every day a red letter day.



6 comments:

Melissa McClure said...

Congrats you two! You rock!

Jacqueline Midkiff said...

Congratulations on your milestone! I really loved reading your post, it was inspiring and lovely.

Jacqueline
XO

ScottE. said...

tear! Soooo happy for the both of you. And would you stop being so effing sexy in your photos. The new one is hot...you look like you're going to kick some vendor butt.

Janis Foley said...

I loved all the pictures and the changing hair colors... hee hee! Those are great! I'm about to celebrate my 10th year anniversary in July - I have no idea what to do... I don't really want to let it just come and go without a celebration... Hmm... ♡ Thanks for sharing - congratulations!

Paper and Thread said...

Congrats on 5 years! You two are an amazing team.

DancerInDC said...

Amazing to think it's been 5 years already. Congratulations, Bek and Mia! Big-time hugs to both of you on this momentous occasion. If we had champagne in the house, we'd drink it.